Wednesday 2 November 2011

It's a Writer's Life Part 2

Another balmy tropical evening on Thursday Island... What a blessing to be brought to this place to work with a bunch of amazing people: actors, musicians and our producer and audio engineer to create a new series of radio plays. This is a stunning environment and it produces amazing people.

We are recording eight eps of the play and a music video. Spent two days rehearsing and translating what I'd written after the initial workshops and subsequent readings into yumpla tok. This way of speaking which used to be called Torres Strait Creole or broken English or sometimes just 'broken' is now called yumpla tok which means 'our people's way of speaking' from what I understand.

Hearing the play performed in this way is amazing by itself. I'm working with Danni and Rhiannon who I worked with on the last series as well as James, Joseph and Chiomi who constantly blow me away with their ability and enthusiasm. As well there's Patrick Mau 'Mau Power' who is simply a rapping prodigy and able to create amazing music. Heather has pulled the whole thing thing together, Corey and CJ are filming it and the awesome Nigel Pegrum is recording. After we fly out on Friday we spend some time editing in Nigel's Pegasus Studios in Cairns.

On my return I spend the following weekend giving a workshop on writing for the stage in Bowral NSW which I hope goes as well as the one I gave in Bermagui the weekend before last.

I always had a dream to go to interesting places and be paid to write and here I am. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment